Thursday, June 8

Why are so many people afraid of heights?

I have been working at the School for the Deaf painting this summer, I usually enjoy doing this, but this year has been a little more taxing on me, maybe because I'm getting a little older? Just the other day I found 4 or 5 gray hairs. Yeah I know that it's bound to happen some day, after all, I am going to be a grandma this year! So I guess it's about time and this way I'll look more like a grandma. Dwights been turning grey since the day April was born, 25 years ago.

Any way me and two other women are painting the barn and some of the other older building there. The chicken coop, there are no chickens they just use it for storage now and storage garages. I think there are around 10 garage doors in two sections. Every thing is being painted cherry red (barn red) and white. The first couple of days we needed to paint the dormers. They are vents that come out of the sides of the roof. I'm hoping to get some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about, but I didn't get any taken any yet and now it's suppose to rain for a few days. We actually started it last year, and finished most of the work on the ground. There is only high places left on the barn now. But everyone there is afraid of heights. Every time I tell someone that they should come join me they all say the same thing, "I'm afraid of heights!" What's up with that any way??? I don't remember knowing so many people that are afraid of heights. Well... Other than the rest of my family!! Yep, Dwight, April , and Alicia are all afraid of heights. There has only been one person at work that said she would help because she is not afraid and she is the secretary and she can't. Maybe that's why she said she would, because she knew she couldn't. Oh well more fun for me I guess. Today I was sitting up on my perch (a big old grain truck with a lift in the back. (It lifts up about 20 feet in the air.) Well in order to get it where we want it we have to lift it up then back up over the roof, and then it can't be taken down enough for me to get off until Dwight come and moves the truck. Well he came to get me down for coffee and I was putting it up and It didn't stop! I pushed the down button, it kept going up I yell at Dwight and he telling me to stop it and I yelling it won't stop. He says push the down button, I say I already did! I look down at him and he pull the plug and it's still moving up! I'm like OH SHIT!
Then it finally stops at it's highest point. I'm thinking well at least it didn't fall apart. So I'm sitting up there and Dwight says don't move it any more I smell smoke! I'm thinking well that's just great I'm stuck up here and now the darn thing is smoking! But no worries I have my faithful fix it all husband on the job. If anyone can fix it he can. So then he says I have to go get a wrench. I'm like... Is it still smoking? Nope it's not. So I'm sitting up there and one of my painting buddies, Lisa comes over and sits on the ground and says I'll keep you company. So we sit there and visit soon Dwight comes back and worked his magic we get it down far enough for me to get down the rest of the way with a ladder, the ladder was wiggling a little and made me nervous. Well that was fun. While we were on break we find out that it's going to rain. I go over after break and get all my stuff off the lift. I had to move the ladder and put it up against the wall because it was steadier there. During coffee Dwight goes and gets a new part, and has it fixed before he leaves work. That's my man LOL. I had to leave early because I had an appointment for a hair cut. Well that was the exciting part of my day. Who says painting is boring?

No comments: