Saturday, September 29

Odd Fellows home was a dud, built in 1924 :(

Yeah what a disappointment, Friday I went over there about 4pm, after I woke up. I started out on the west side of the building, and worked my way to the front. I guess I wasn't to surprised that I didn't find any thing on the side of the building just because I don't think there was a lot of activity around the building itself. But I had hoped that as I went down the beside the sidewalk I would at least find some wheaties or maybe a mercury dime. But no I mostly found a lot of metal junk that I don't really know what it was. Maybe broken engine parts. There was also a lot of chopped up pop cans and bottle caps. As I got closer to the 2nd street side walk I found that Dwight had shown up and was working the verm in the back of the building. (which I always thought was the front) I told him if he found any nickles they were mine, some of my milk money that I dropped on my way to school. LOL We did actually find about 5 nickles which was funny cuz we usually don't find many of them. We also found a few pennies all newer and I found a 1965 quarter which I thought would have been silver but Dwight told me that they stoped making the silver ones in 1963.
So since there was still a large area that we had not hit yet, and after doing some much needed cleaning at home, and Dwight taking a run to the lake to get the boat, cut down a few small trees in the back of our house. Around 3:00pm today we decided to go over there again. Still expecting to find some old coins. Dwight worked around the front and I kind of went a little closer to the building and besides the junk that I dug up the only thing I found was one penny but is was so messed up that I couldn't even find the date. Thinking that Dwight would walk over and show me a handful of coins, he just gave me the sign for 0 and ask if I had had enough. What could I say I had nothing. So we headed home about 6:15. Yes it was a disappointment but the more I thought about it there really wasn't a lot activity there. I was just kind of a place for older people to retire, and I never saw many people walking around the place. One of the first things you should look for when picking a place to metal detect is some place where there has been a lot of people gathering. That just wasn't true about the Odd Fellow Home. So old doesn't necessarily mean it's a good place to find old coins or jewelry. Well it's getting kind of late and this old lady needs her beauty sleep. Good night.

No comments: