Wednesday, September 26

Road trip to Clyde,Calio and Calvin.

Yeah, I know what your thinking, where in ND are these (Ghost) towns. Well they are all north of Devils Lake, a little over 40 miles and only about 15 miles from the Canadian boarder. Clyde is the town that I spent the first year of my life, Where my Grandma and Grandpa Morris lived and my Great grandma Clopper lived alone until she turned 97. Granddad and Grandmother Hammond lived on a farm about 3 miles from Clyde. The same farmstead that and later my Uncle Roy and Aunt Violet lived, with their 7 children. In fact most of my aunts, uncles and cousins lived on farms in that area for at least the first half of their lives. Clyde now has maybe 10 people living there. We saw about 4 or 5 houses that actually have people living in them. The people that live in a trailer behind the bar, which is closed, is a relative on my Dad's side, Shotenbower (spelling?) he came over to where we were, and told us that the man that owned the property was in Minn. and we chatted about all our relatives it was nice, he knew them all. My Mom told me that at one time my uncle Dennis owned most of the town, but doesn't know who owns it now. The Church and the school have been gone for several years. So why would we travel about 50 miles to see this place?? I guess be cause we are looking for good areas to go metal detecting. What did we find in these old towns? Mostly abandoned houses and believe it or not mostly clad coins. (Clad is metal detectors lingo for newer coins.) Most of the older homes are abandon, so the grass was too over grown that it would have been very hard to swing the metal detector there, and the old school and church even though they were no longer standing was also a swamp. We stayed mostly on the property that my Grandma and Grandpa, and my Mom live, mostly because the grass was cut. There I found 2-1981 pennies and one of each 1974, 1976 and two that were unreadable. But I also found a small spoon that looked like one from a child's toy set, and a broken cap gun. Not much I know but it was fun for me to go back in time so to speak to people, and see what's left of the town I once called home. Sad too, most of the places that I remembered have been moved or just no longer there. Any way I forgot my camera and there really wasn't much to take pictures of in Clyde. I did get some pictures with my camera phone of a couple of old schools in the other two towns, sorry they aren't that good because hey it's only a camera phone. School in Calio is being renovated by some hunters from Minn. So it looks to be in fairly good shape, but they still have a long ways to go.
And this very poor conditioned school in Calvin. Dated 1914.


Guess what Dad told me last night that we now have permission to detect around the Odd fellows home. That big brick place that is across the street from Priare Veiw school. Wow this is an old post card. I'm guessing it was when it was first built.

2 comments:

April said...

awesome! You get to metal detect at the Odd Fellows, that is sweet, I hope you find something fun!

Anonymous said...

well you told me some info I never knew about. well thanx. and I'm glad you and dad had a good time.