Sunday, May 7

Dwight and I went metal detecting.

We decided that it was a beautiful day to go to the lake. We didn't go to Woodlake, which is our lake of choice instead we went to Cavanaugh Lake, it's between here and Webster. It was interesting I learned how to distinguish between the good stuff and junk. This is a place that kids have been going to since at least the early 70's. So yeah, there were a lot of beer bottles, cans pop tops, broken glass etc. A spot for a fire. We were on a mission to find a couple of lost Black Hills gold rings that Alicia lost out there. For the record she and her friends were there for the swimming and sun. That's what I was told any way. We really should have asked more questions before we went out there. We didn't have the slightest idea where to look. No rings but we didn't come out empty handed no..... We found 88 cents. Yep we're rich now. Most of it was found around the same spot. Near a spot where there was a bon fire. Dwight tells me that's called a honey hole. I would have thought money hole would describe it just as well... But that's detecting lingo. It was all "clad" (modern money) Modern money is pretty much any thing after wheatie or merc's. Yeah I'm learning the lingo, kind of any way. I have a lot more to learn. Wheates are pennies that have wheat on the tail side. They were made in the 30's and 40's I think, well that the years that we have found so far. Merc's is short for a Mercury dime. They are made of all silver no copper. The oldest coin that Dwight has found so far is a 1901 quarter he found that at the school. That's all silver too. We both got a little sun burn I'm glad we went out early because as I look out the window now it looks like we are going to get some rain. Well that was my day, not as exciting as April's or Alicia's day yesterday but it was fun.

1 comment:

April said...

Sounds like you guys had fun! You can bring your metal detector to our new house and look in our back yard... the back yard ONLY because I don't want to be the "new wierd neighbors that look for burried treasure" No offense of course :)