Wednesday, May 3

Well it's been an interesting night. Last night and tonight I'm working alone. So far it has worked out fine. Karen called in sick both nights. (actually her cat that she has had for more then 10 years is sick and this morning they have to decide whether of not to put him to sleep.) I felt so bad for her. I know how that feel and it's like loosing a family member. So I don't blame her for not coming to work, I sure I would do the same thing. I was hoping for a sub but there are none. Well none that could come in at night because the all have day jobs. So I asked are you actively looking for any. And she replied we haven't needed anyone this year. And I'm like... That's not what I asked. Are you looking for anyone encase this happens again? Well no it's too close to the end of the school year. Any way tonight was quite unusual at 1:00 am our new superintendent comes over to the dorm and tells me that there is a leak in a gas line. The fire department and police department have requested that we wake up all the kids and put them on a bus, that will take them to the police department where they will stay, until they can be sure that it's cleaned up and safe for us to return. So here I am all alone and I have to wake up every one. He asks, who can he call to come and help and I said. Stacy my boss (who doesn't think I need any help). So while he is making the call I start with the older boys and instruct them to get themselves dressed and then wake up the little boys and get them ready for the bus. Then I go over to the girls side and do the same with them. Well everyone was pretty much ready when Stacy and Tracy came and we were just about to load up the bus and the superintendent comes back with a fireman and say.... "It's ok every thing is cleaned and safe." So yeah we turn to the kids and tell them to all go back to bed. They are all asking what's up? What happened? Surprisingly everyone went back to bed and they were all sleeping again by 1:45. Dwight who was called in came over after it was all over and told me that some kids from town were trying to climb the roof of the power house and accidentally broke the pipe line. When they saw gas come squirting out they got scared and called the police. It's what got them caught. I personally don't think they should be too hard on the boys. After all they could have just ran and left the gas pouring out and things could have been a lot worse. So if you think about it even though they broke it, they at least they got help. After that, all was quiet until 4:00 when a little girl that has trouble sleeping wakes up and acts like it's play time. She was so hyper! I tried for an hour to get her to stay in bed hoping that she would go back to sleep. At 5:00 I decided that she was not going to cooperate so we go into the Lounge area and by 5:30 she was sleeping on the couch. YAY! When it was time to wake everyone up, no one wanted to get out of bed.
gee I wonder why?? It was an exciting night but I was so proud of the way the kids behaved and worked together to get every one ready. We were talking about it at 1:30 and Mr. Frogalson said it was 1:10 when he first came over and we had them all ready to go by 1:20. Well that's it the most exciting night I have ever had at the school as nightwatch. Oh and I hope it never happens again! By the way this was my first smoke free day. Not that I wouldn't have had one if anyone would have offered. But it's all good now.

No comments: